Technical Writing Requirement
Students in the College of Engineering must fulfill the Technical Writing Requirement to graduate. The requirement is in place to better prepare engineers for the demands that will be placed upon them during their work and research. Engineers will spend anywhere from 20%-80% of their time performing communication tasks (written and spoken), so learning some specialized techniques is an essential part of professional development.
There are several ways to meet the Technical Writing Requirement at Cornell University.
1. Take a course in the Engineering Communications Program (find the Writing Co-Op here, too)
2. Take a Writing-Intensive course in the College of Engineering.
3. Take a partnered One-Credit course in the College of Engineering.
4. Petition for Technical Writing credit.
5. Complete a One-Credit Attachment.