Admitted first-year Cornell Engineering students may be able to apply for a one or two-year deferred entry. Requests are evaluated on a case-by-case basis by the Engineering Admissions Office and have been granted in previous years for a variety of reasons.
Early Decision Candidates: The deadline to request an enrollment deferral for the 2017-2018 academic year is March 1, 2017.
Regular Decision Candidates: The deadline to request an enrollment deferral for the 2017-2018 academic year is June 1, 2017.
If you are granted an enrollment deferral, the following conditions apply:
1. You must officially accept your offer of admission from Cornell University.
2. You must submit a $400 deposit reserving your place in
a future class of Cornell Engineers. (Note: An $800 deposit is
required for two-year deferrals).
3. You must formally withdraw your application(s) from any college/university to which you have applied.
4. You must formally decline your offer(s) of admission from any college/university to which you have been admitted.
5. You must NOT apply to, or enroll at, another college/university during your deferral period.
Please note: If you are granted a deferral of admission, you will begin to receive information in the spring prior to enrolling at Cornell to help you prepare for your arrival.
Students admitted from the wait list are expected to enroll for the upcoming fall semester and are rarely granted deferrals.
Enrollment Deferral Request Form
To officially request a deferral of enrollment from Cornell Engineering, please complete the form below. Once the form has been received, you will be contacted within 5 business days regarding the status of your request. Please contact the Engineering Admissions Office by emailing: email@example.com, or by calling: 607.255.5008 should you have any questions about the enrollment deferral process.