The Cornell Society of Civil Engineers (CSCE) was founded in the winter of 1905 and the following statement was adopted as a guideline for its members.
“The purpose of the Cornell Society of Civil Engineers is to promote the welfare of the College of Civil Engineering at Cornell University and to establish a closer relationship between the college and its alumni.”
By April 1920, the group had expanded its scope to include all engineering disciplines and the name was changed to the Cornell Society of Engineers.
The board of directors voted unanimously in January 2004 to change the name of the Cornell Society of Engineers to the Cornell Engineering Alumni Association (CEAA), with a major goal being to find a way to emphasize that the society is inclusive of all graduates of the College of Engineering regardless of whether or not they work directly in the field of engineering.
This name change was approved by the membership at the annual meeting in April 2004 together with a revised constitution of the association.
Read more about our history in Cornell Engineering Magazine (pdf).