Fall Diversity Hosting Weekend
We know that the opportunity to visit campus is an important factor in identifying whether Cornell would provide what you are looking for in your college experience. The Fall Engineering Diversity Hosting Weekend (DHW) is a great chance for you to come see what the College of Engineering and greater Cornell University campus have to offer!
This overnight hosting program will take place Thursday, September 26 - Saturday, September 28, 2013 and will provide you with an insider's view into life as a Cornell Engineer. During Fall DHW you will have the opportunity to:
- stay in a residence hall with a current student;
- learn details about the admission process;
- attend a class;
- participate in an interactive lab demonstration; and
- interact with faculty, staff, and students.
Additionally, you will be able to engage with members of several of our award-winning engineering student organizations including:
- American Indian Science & Engineering Society (AISES)
- National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE)
- Society of Asian Scientists & Engineers (SASE)
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers ( SHPE)
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
Notes about the program
- This program is for high school seniors (graduating in Spring 2014) and has a particular focus on first generation college students and/or student from backgrounds traditionally underrepresented in engineering (African American/Black, Hispanic/Latino, Native American, Native Hawaiian, Native Pacific Islander and Native Alaskan).
- There is no cost for the program except for your own travel to campus. However, you may be eligible to apply for a travel grant to cover some or all of your travel expenses. Once you have been accepted into the program you, will receive instructions on how to apply for these travel grants.
- This is an application-based, space-limited, selective program. Though it is not equivalent to admission into Cornell University, we are looking for students that show promise of being a member of the freshman class.
- Because we require one year each of Calculus, Chemistry, Physics, and Biology for our freshman admissions, we are also requiring these for our hosting program. Note that these are requirements for you to fulfill before high school graduation, so taking them in Senior year still fulfills the requirement.
How to Apply for Fall DHW 2013
All supporting application materials must be submitted with the online application by Monday, July 15, 2013. If you experience difficulty uploading your materials, please contact the Engineering Admissions office.
To apply, you must complete the Fall DHW Online Application by Monday, July 15, 2013.
The Fall DHW Online Application includes:
You will be asked for a completed essay of 400-500 words in the application. Because you are expected to enter the essay in the midst of your application, please have your response ready before you fill out the application so that you are prepared to enter the essay when asked. This year's essay prompt is:
Cornell Engineering: Breakthrough Thinking
After viewing the following websites, discuss what it is about Cornell Engineering that interests you most.
B. Completed Junior Year High School Transcript
You will be asked to upload a copy of your transcript (official, unofficial, or copies of your 9,10, and 11 grade report cards - whichever you have access to). These must have final grades for 9th, 10th, and 11th grades. If you have not yet finished your Junior year, you should wait to apply for Fall DHW until you have your completed final grades. Because you are expected to upload your transcript in the midst of your application, please have your document(s) ready before you fill out the application so that you are prepared to upload your transcript when asked.
- Fully completed applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis throughout June/July.
- Decision notification will also be on a rolling basis throughout July.
- A portion of our applicants may not be notified until Monday, July 29 when all final decisions will be released via e-mail.
- All selection decisions will include important details for the program, including how to apply for travel grants and how to make travel arrangements.
Program Contact Information
Subject Header: Fall DHW - YOUR NAME
Diversity Programs in Engineering
Subject Header: Fall DHW - YOUR NAME