Volume 7, Issue 5
October 6, 2004
In this issue:
- Duffield celebration continues
- New assistant director of diversity
- Motorola VP to speak on Seamless Mobility
- Speakers in financial engineering, statistics seminars
Duffield celebration continues
This week, we are celebrating a landmark event for the College of Engineering and Cornell: the opening of Duffield Hall. There are a number of events open to the public, and members of the engineering community are encouraged to attend.
Wednesday, October 6
The dessert reception at 8 pm has been sold out. Those with tickets should gather at the north entrance of Duffield Hall at 8 pm. Due to limitations on the occupancy of the space, the number of attendees was limited to 600.
Thursday, October 7
- 9:00 a.m to 12:00 noon, Research Posters with CNF Users, Duffield Hall Atrium
- 9:00 a.m to 12:00 noon, Faculty and Director talks, 219 Phillips Hall
- 9:00 a.m. Helene Schember, associate director, CCMR
- 9:30 a.m. Barbara Baird, professor, chemistry and chemical biology; director, NBTC
- 10:00 a.m. Harold Craighead, professor, AEP; co-director, NBTC
- 10:30 a.m. Amit Lal, associate professor, ECE
- 11:00 a.m. Chekesha Liddell, assistant professor, MSE
- 11:30 a.m. Robert Buhrman, professor, AEP; director, CNS
- 12:00 noon, Closing Address: Jeff Hawkins '79, inventor of the PalmPilot, founder, the Redwood Neuroscience Institute: "Passion in Science: how great achievements are made in science and technology,"Barnes Hall Auditorium
See the web page, www.cnf.cornell.edu/2004cnfamcf.html, for a complete list of activities.
New assistant director of diversity
Justin McHorse has accepted the position of Assistant Director of Diversity in the Engineering College. McHorse has a B.A. (Native American Studies and English) from Dartmouth and recently finished a Master of Science in Education at Purdue. In between degrees, he worked in Outreach and in Admissions at the Advent School (Boston) and the Proctor Academy (Andover).
Motorola VP to speak on Seamless Mobility
Padmasree Warrior, Senior Vice President and Chief Technology Officer of Motorola, Inc. will be talking on the topic of "MotoNext - Seamless Mobility" on October 7 at 4:30 in Phillips 101. This talk is a part of the Enterprise Engineering Seminar series sponsored by the Cornell Engineering Alumni Associate (formerly CSE). Refreshments are provided at 4:15 p.m. The public is invited to attend.
Speakers in financial engineering, statistics seminars
Oct 1: Financial Engineering Seminar: Mark Fisher (Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta), "Weak-* convergence and the doubling strategy," 12:15 - 1:15 p.m., 253 Rhodes Hall
Oct 6: Statistics Seminar: Joel Dubin, Division of Biostatistics, Yale University, "Correlation for Multivariate Longitudinal Data," 4:00 p.m., 406 Malott Hall (Refreshments are served after the seminar in 301 Malott.)
Submitting announcements to Information Update
Please send your news notes to email@example.com. Announcements will be published no more than twice and should be limited to about a hundred words or less. The next issue of Information Update, published biweekly during the academic year and monthly in the summer, will be July 10, 2013. The deadline for submissions to this next issue is Friday, July 5, 2013 at 5 p.m. Information received after the deadline will be published in a future issue if appropriate.