Ehsan Afshari received the B.S. degree in Electronics Engineering from the Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran and the M.S. and Ph.D. degree in electrical engineering from the California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, in 2003, and 2006, respectively. In August 2006, he joined the faculty in Electrical and Computer Engineering at Cornell University.
Broadly speaking, Prof. Afshari is interested in the fields of analog circuit design. More specifically, his research interest is the application of the mathematical theory of wave propagation to high performance circuit design. He has been able to blend multiple disciplines within the fields of electrical engineering, applied physics and mathematics into a coherent research theme. The result has been the development of novel circuit design techniques for very high-frequency and/pr high power applications.
In addition to the practical circuit-based research, he has conducted purely theoretical mathematical analysis in the general field of wave propagation in linear and nonlinear electrical media.
- 2011. "High Power Terahertz and Sub-millimeter-Wave Oscillator Design: A Systematic Approach." IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits 46 (3): 583-597. .
- 2011. "Low Noise Parametric Resonant Amplifier." IEEE Transaction on Circuits and Systems-I Regular Papers 58 (3): 479-492. .
- 2011. "A 220-275 GHz Traveling Wave Frequency Doubler with -6.6 dBm Power at 244 GHz in 65 nm CMOS." Paper presented at IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference .
- 2011. "A Distributed Dual Band LC Oscillator Based on Mode Switching." IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques 59 (1): 99 - 107. .
- 2010. "2D Electrical Interferometer: A Novel High Speed Quantizer." IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques 58 (10): 2549 - 2561. .
Selected Awards and Honors
- Best Student Paper Award in RFIC (Ruonan Han) (RFIC) 2012
- Cornell ECE Best Ph.D. Thesis Award (Omeed Momeni) (Cornell ECE) 2011
- IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society (MTT-S) Graduate Fellowship (Yaha Tousi) (IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society) 2011
- International Microwave Symposium (IMS) Graduate Student Challenge Award (Yahya Tousi) (International Microwave Symposium (IMS)) 2011
- The IEEE Solid-State Circuits Society Predoctoral Achievement Award (Yahya Tousi) (IEEE Solid-State Circuits) 2011
- B. Sc (Electrical Engineering), Sharif University of Technology, 2001
- M. Sc (Electrical Engineering), California Institute of Technology, 2003
- Ph D (Engineering), California Institute of Technology, 2006