Ehsan Afshari received the B.S. degree in Electronics Engineering from the Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran and the M.S. and Ph.D. degree in electrical engineering from the California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, in 2003, and 2006, respectively. In August 2006, he joined the faculty in Electrical and Computer Engineering at Cornell University.
Broadly speaking, Prof. Afshari is interested in the fields of analog circuit design. More specifically, his research interest is the application of the mathematical theory of wave propagation to high performance circuit design. He has been able to blend multiple disciplines within the fields of electrical engineering, applied physics and mathematics into a coherent research theme. The result has been the development of novel circuit design techniques for very high-frequency and/or high power applications.
In addition to the practical circuit-based research, he has conducted purely theoretical mathematical analysis in the general field of wave propagation in linear and nonlinear electrical media.
- 2013. "A CMOS High-Power Broadband 260-GHz Radiator Array for Spectroscopy." IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits . .
- 2012. "A Novel CMOS High-Power Terahertz VCO Based on Coupled Oscillators: Theory and Implementation." IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits 47 (12). .
- 2012. "Delay Coupled Oscillators for Frequency Tuning of Solid-State Terahertz Sources." Physical Review Letters 108 (23). .
- 2012. "A Low-Phase-Noise Wide-Turning-Range Oscillator Based on Resonant Mode Switching." IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits 47 (6): 1295 - 1308. .
- 2011. "High Power Terahertz and Sub-millimeter-Wave Oscillator Design: A Systematic Approach." IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits 46 (3): 583-597. .
Selected Awards and Honors
- Michael Tien '72 Excellence in Teaching Award (Cornell, College of Engineering) 2010
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Early CAREER Award 2010
- Selected to the Cornell's first Faculty Institute for Diversity (Cornell University) 2008
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) Young Faculty Award 2008
- Iran Presidential Award of National Best Engineering Student 2000
- B. Sc. (Electrical Engineering), Sharif University of Technology, 2001
- M. Sc. (Electrical Engineering), California Institute of Technology, 2003
- Ph D (Engineering), California Institute of Technology, 2006