Johannes E Gehrke
Johannes Gehrke is a Professor in the Department of Computer Science at Cornell University. Johannes' research interests are in the areas of database systems, data mining, data privacy, and applications of database and data mining technology to marketing and the sciences. Johannes has received a National Science Foundation Career Award, an Arthur P. Sloan Fellowship, an IBM Faculty Award, the Cornell College of Engineering James and Mary Tien Excellence in Teaching Award, the Cornell University Provost's Award for Distinguished Scholarship, a Humboldt Research Award, an IEEE Technical Achievement Award, and the Blavatnik Award for Young Scientists. He is the author of numerous publications on data mining and database systems, and he co-authored the undergraduate textbook Database Management Systems (McGrawHill (2002), currently in its third edition), used at universities all over the world. Johannes is also an Adjunct Professor at the University of Tromsø in Norway.
Johannes was co-Chair of the 2003 ACM SIGKDD Cup, Program co-Chair of the 2004 ACM International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD 2004), Program Chair of the 33rd International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB 2007), and program co-chair of the 2012 IEEE ICDE International Conference on Data Engineering. From 2007 to 2008, he was Chief Scientist at FAST, A Microsoft Subsidiary. At Cornell, Johannes teaches in the Department of Computer Science, the Information Science Program, and in the Johnson Graduate School of Management.
He is a member of the fields of Computer Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Information Sciences, and Computational Science and Engineering.
Database systems, data privacy, Big Data, data mining
My teaching is in the area of Big Data. I also proposed a new course on applied data mining for the New York City Campus.
- 2013. "Fine-Grained Disclosure Control for App Ecosystems." Paper presented at Proceedings of the 2013 ACM SIGMOD Conference, New York, NY, June.
- 2013. "Quantum Databases." Paper presented at Biennial Conference on Innovative Data Systems Research, Asilomar, CA, January (1st Quarter/Winter).
- 2012. "ClouDiA: A Deployment Advisor for Public Clouds." Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment 4 (2): 109-120. .
- 2012. "Non-tracking web analytics." Paper presented at Nineteenth ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (ACM CCS 2012), Raleigh, NC, October (4th Quarter/Autumn).
- 2012. "Efficient Spanning Structure Mining in Large Image Collections." Paper presented at European Conference on Computer Vision (EECV), Florence, October (4th Quarter/Autumn).
Selected Awards and Honors
- Technical Achievement Award (IEEE Computer Society) 2011
- Humboldt Research Award (Alexander von Humboldt Foundation) 2010
- Blavatnik Award for Young Scientists (New York Academy of Sciences) 2011
- Best Paper Award (2011 ACM SIGMOD Conference) 2011
- Faculty Development Award (New York State Foundation for Science, Technology, and Innovation) 2007
- (Computer Science), Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, 1993
- MS (Computer & Information Science), University of Texas- Austin, 1995
- Ph D (Computer & Information Science), University of Wisconsin- Madison, 1999