What does the future hold for engineering at Cornell University and how can Cornell’s College of Engineering shape its destiny? Early in 2003 the college embarked on a formal strategic planning process to answer those questions. Faculty members, students, administrators, and alumni produced a detailed strategic plan, a living document designed to be the basis for implementation efforts across the college.
The College of Engineering has identified six strategic areas of significant research focus for the next decade:
- Systems Biology and Biomedical Engineering
- Nanomaterials, Nanodevices, and Nanoscience
- Energy, Environment, and Sustainable Development
- Information, Computation, and Communication
- Advanced Materials
- Complex Systems and Networks
Our goal is to be the nation’s premier research university in the first three areas and a world leader in the second three areas.