Teaching tips and references for specific teaching topics are sorted by topic and accessed through the appropriate tabs.
A few tips:
- Creating a careful grading rubric for large classes increases accuracy and consistency in TA grading and reduces in student’ grading complaints.
- Human focus and attention drifts after ~ 15 minutes, lectures are 50 or 75 minutes. Impedance matching is required. Insert active learning components every 10-20 minutes to re-energize students' focus.
- Clickers and/or active learning engage all students in answering, not just a few up front
- An informal mid-semester evaluation can catch problems and allow you to correct them before they show up on official evaluations
- Teaching is more than lecturing. A class can “fail” from poor lectures, poor assignments, or poor organization.
- Not on the board = not in the student’s notes. Write key structuring words and reasoning on the board or your slides.