Military Enrollment Deferral
Admitted first-year Cornell Engineering students may be able to apply for a one or two-year deferred enrollment. Requests are evaluated on a case-by-case basis by the Engineering Admissions Office and are generally granted for military obligations/assignments. To officially request a military deferral of enrollment from Cornell Engineering, please complete the form on this page. Once the form has been received, you will be contacted within 5 business days regarding the status of your request. Please contact the Engineering Admissions Office by emailing: email@example.com, or by calling: 607-255-5008 should you have any questions about the enrollment deferral process.
In addition to submitting a formal enrollment deferral request form, students applying for a one or two-year deferral due to a military assignment must provide the Engineering Admissions Office with formal confirmation of the military service in the form of a letter from a commanding officer, and/or a conscription notice providing verification that he/she will be, or is currently, fulfilling a military service commitment. It is critical to secure this official documentation in a timely manner in order to finalize the enrollment deferral process.
- Early Decision Candidates: The deadline to request an enrollment deferral for the 2019-2020 academic year is March 1, 2019.
- Regular Decision Candidates: The deadline to request an enrollment deferral for the 2019-2020 academic year is June 1, 2019.
If you are granted an enrollment deferral, the following conditions apply:
- You must officially accept your offer of admission from Cornell University.
- You must submit a $400 deposit reserving your place in a future class of Cornell Engineers. (Note: An $800 deposit is required for two-year deferrals).
- You must formally withdraw your application(s) from any college/university to which you have applied.
- You must formally decline your offer(s) of admission from any college/university to which you have been admitted.
- You must NOT apply to, or enroll at, another college/university during your deferral period.
Please note: If you are granted a deferral of admission, you will begin to receive information in the spring prior to enrolling at Cornell to help you prepare for your arrival. It is your responsibility to apprise the university of any changes in your mailing address and/or email address.