...my Co-op assignment was probably the single most influential experience during my time at Cornell. Hands down, it was the best decision I've made for my education after deciding to come to Cornell in the first place.
Co-op for Industry Partners
Co-op is an educational experience which integrates academic and career interests with industry experience. Students convert theory into practice, applying classroom knowledge to work situations, learning information and skills to enhance future coursework.
Cornell Engineering students are self-reliant, ready, confident in their abilities, and eager to learn. Employers who hire Co-ops gain more than outstanding apprentices-they have the opportunity to observe and groom prospective full-time employees.
- 28 weeks or more of work includes a semester plus a summer.
- Co-ops are paid work positions; students receive a transcript notation upon successful completion of the program.
- Most Co-op students attend Co-op Summer Session.
- Students typically complete their work terms as Juniors in the Fall semester and following Summer.
- Students may complete the 28 week requirement with one employer or two different employers
Co-op Program Overview[pdf]
Flexibility of Work Terms
- Semester and Summer: some employers post positions with the expectation that students will work a semester and the following summer (ie: Fall 2019, returning Summer 2020).
- Semester with Summer Optional: some employers post positions for just a semester (ie: Fall 2019) with the following summer (Summer 2020) being optional for the employer to invite the students to accept or decline.
- Continuous 28 Weeks: some employers post positions that are a continuous 28 weeks of work (ie: Summer/Fall 2019) or (ie: Spring/Summer 2020).
Hiring for Fall 2019 or Spring 2020 Co-op Positions?
Amazing Cornell Engineering students are seeking opportunities.
Please contact Julie at firstname.lastname@example.org or 607-255-3512.
New Option! Recruit this fall for Co-op Students:
This year, employers are welcome and encouraged to recruit in the fall for co-op students! Although we will have our traditional recruiting activities in the spring, this is your opportunity to engage with these students sooner.
This could be for the following co-op terms: Spring/Summer 2020, Summer/Fall 2020, and/or Fall 2020/Summer 2021.