Fundamental studies of crystalline interfaces; fabrication of nanoperiodic surfaces for biological and materials applications.
- Sass, Stephen. 2008. "We've Been Here Before". Media Magazine. 72.
- Sass, Stephen. 2006. "Scarcity, Mother of Invention". The New York Times.
- Sass, Stephen. 2006. "Scarcity, Mother of Invention". The International Herald Tribune.
- Sass, Stephen. 1998. The Substance of Civilization: Materials and Human History from the Stone Age to the Age of Silicon. New York, United States: Arcade Publishing, Little, Brown, & Co.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Distinguished Achievement Award in Materials Science and Engineering (International Workshop on Advanced Intermetallic and Metallic Materials) 2008
- Distinguished Achievement Award in Materials Science and Engineering (International Workshop on Aadvanced Intermetallic and Metallic Materials, China) 2005
- Stephen H. Weiss Presidential Fellow (Cornell University) 2001
- Outstanding Educator (Cornell University) 2000
- Fellow (ASM) 1997
Northwestern University 1966