My main interests lies in teaching (eight courses in the area of meteorology). I have developed several courses (Air Pollution Meteorology, Advanced Forecast, Introduction to FORTRAN, and Fluid Dynamics for the Earth Sciences), which emphasizes the practical applications of meteorological concepts.
My research interests are in the areas of air pollution, forecasting and weather analysis. My work in air pollution deals with evaluating Environmental Impact Statements for regional communities. This involves working with either government representatives or environmental groups and reporting on the completeness of environmental impact statements. I am also involved with research studying the effects air pollution on human health, specifically, respiratory diseases.
The following is a list of courses I teach: EAS 1150 (Severe Weather Phenomena) EAS 1310 (Introductory Meteorology) EAS 1340 (Weather Analysis and Forecasting) EAS 1600 (Environmental Physics) EAS 2900 (Computer Programming and Meteorology Software) EAS 3410 (Thermodynamics and Hydrostatics) EAS 3520 (Synoptic I) EAS 4570 (Air Pollution) EAS 4700 (Advanced Forecasting) EAS 5050 (Fluid Dynamics in the Earth Sciences).
Provide information and develop educational materials related to environmental issues to K-12 earth science teachers, professional groups, and Cornell Alumni Clubs. Recent issues related to the global warming and weather patterns, and health related problems from air pollution, have lead me to develop an information packets to help people understand the technical problems dealing with each problem. My goal is to educate students and the public so they can make informed decisions on future funding and policy needs.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Director of Undergraduate studies in Atmospheric Sciences - (2005-present)
- New York State Climatologist - (2002 - present)
- Recipient of the SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching. - 2001
- Outstanding educator award for the Merrill Presidential Scholar program - 2010
- Kendal S. Carpenter Memorial Advising Award - 2011
- Professor of Merit Award - 2015
- Edward N. Lorenz Teaching Excellence Award from the AMS - 2017
- Outstanding educator award for the Merrill Presidential Scholar program -2017
- Faculty Advisor to the Cornell Chapter of the American Meteorological Society (CCAMS) - (1989-present)
- B Sc. University of Arizona, 1976
- M Sc. Cornell University, 1989