Serge Belongie received a B.S. (with honor) in EE from Caltech in 1995 and a Ph.D. in EECS from Berkeley in 2000. While at Berkeley, his research was supported by an NSF Graduate Research Fellowship. From 2001-2013 he was a professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at University of California, San Diego.
He is currently the Andrew H. and Ann R. Tisch Professor at Cornell Tech and the Department of Computer Science at Cornell University. His research interests include Computer Vision, Machine Learning, and Augmented Reality. He is also a co-founder of several companies including Digital Persona, Anchovi Labs and Orpix. He is a recipient of the NSF CAREER Award, the Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellowship, the MIT Technology Review "Innovators Under 35" Award, and the Helmholtz Prize for fundamental contributions in Computer Vision.
- Van Horn, Grant; Aodha, Oisin Mac; Song, Yang; Cui, Yin; Sun, Chen; Shepard, Alex; Adam, Hartwig; Perona, Pietro; Belongie, Serge
The iNaturalist Species Classification and Detection Dataset
Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), Salt Lake City, UT, 2018.
- Haraldsson, Harald; Tal, Doron; Polo-Garcia, Karla; Belongie, Serge
PointAR: Augmented Reality for Tele-Assistance
CVPR Workshop on Embedded Computer Vision, Salt Lake City, UT, 2018.
- Veit, Andreas; Wilber, Michael; Belongie, Serge
Residual Networks Behave Like Ensembles of Relatively Shallow Networks
Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS), Barcelona, 2016.
- Wilber, Michael; Kwak, Iljung; Kriegman, David; Belongie, Serge
Learning Concept Embeddings with Combined Human-Machine Expertise
International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV), 2015.
- Branson, Steve; Horn, Grant Van; Wah, Catherine; Perona, Pietro; Belongie, Serge
The Ignorant Led by the Blind: A Hybrid Human–Machine Vision System for Fine-Grained Categorization
International Journal of Computer Vision (IJCV), 2014.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Cornell Tech Professor of the Year 2016
- Best Paper Award in session "Vision and Learning," (WACV) 2015
- Helmholtz Prize (ICCV) 2015
- Best Paper Award Runner Up (HCOMP) 2015
- Honorable Mention, Assistive Reproductive Technology video "3D Sperm Surface Reconstruction," (ASRM) 2014
- BS (Electrical Engineering with Honor), California Institute of Technology, 1995
- MS (Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences), University of California, Berkeley, 1997
- PhD (Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences), University of California, Berkeley, 2000