Engineering College Council (ECC)
The Engineering College Council was created as an advisory board to the dean in the 1940s, during the administration of Solomon Cady Hollister. It was one of the first - perhaps the very first - of the college advisory councils at Cornell.
For some years, the president of the university served as chairman of the council. Through 1948-49, this was Edmund Ezra Day. The acting president, Cornelius W. deKiewiet, served for two years, and then President Deane Malott was chairman through 1955-56. Since then, the membership of the council has included people from industry and academia, both alumni and non-alumni. Their function was and is to advise the college administration on long-range planning and development in all aspects of the program, notably instruction, research, and, increasingly, cooperative ventures with industry.