Leave of Absence and Withdrawal

Request for a Voluntary Personal Leave or Withdrawal from the College of Engineering

Please read the following instructions and policy, then click the link below to access the College of Engineering Voluntary Personal Leave and Withdrawal Form.  This form is for Engineering B.S. and M.Eng. students only.  MS and PHD students should contact the Graduate School Registrar’s Office for guidance on leaves and withdrawals.

Please Note: health leaves should be requested through the Health Leaves Coordinator. Please visit the Cornell Health website for information on health leaves.  Unaffiliated students considering a health leave should also speak with the Engineering Advising Office.   Affiliated undergraduate and M.Eng. students should contact their major/program coordinator when planning any health leave.

Once you formally submit the request for a voluntary personal leave or withdrawal via the online form it will be date and time stamped.  You will immediately receive an email sent to your official Cornell email address verifying your submission was successful and the date submitted.  This date will determine your official last day of attendance for tuition and grading purposes if the leave or withdrawal is during an active term.  If the leave or withdrawal is for a future term that has not yet started, your effective date will always be the day after your last date of attendance at Cornell.  This is generally the day after the last final exam of the term that you complete.

If you have not yet spoken with your department coordinator or the Advising Office about your leave or withdrawal request, please do so as soon as possible since your voluntary leave/withdrawal will need to be reviewed and endorsed by your major program or Advising Office prior to final college and university approval.

Please review the following Engineering policy on voluntary personal leaves and withdrawals:

Students who desire to suspend their studies for a period of time or permanently may request a voluntary personal leave or withdrawal.  Leaves are granted for no less than one semester and no greater than two years. During the semester, a student may request to take a voluntary leave of absence or withdrawal up through the last day of the term. Students who are in good standing in the college at the conclusion of a semester may request to take a voluntary personal leave of absence to suspend their studies prior to the start of the upcoming semester.  Leaves/withdrawals requested for an upcoming term will be effective on the day after the end of the last term attended.

A voluntary personal leave of absence or withdrawal granted during the course of a semester will be effective on the date the request is submitted via the online form.

A voluntary personal leave of absence or withdrawal that is granted prior to the semester start, or by the university drop deadline, will result in the upcoming or current semester’s courses being expunged, except if a course was already completed. Students will receive a grade for any course that was completed prior to the leave of absence requests date. Leaves/withdrawals granted after the 57th day of a semester and by the last day of the term will result in W’s on a student’s transcript for enrolled classes, except if a course was already completed.

Students on a leave of absence are not permitted to enroll in courses at Cornell during their leave.  Students may take courses at other institutions while on a leave.  In order to satisfy Cornell degree requirements, courses taken at another institution must be approved in advance through a formal transfer petition. Credit for courses completed at foreign institutions during a leave of absence will not be accepted for transfer credit unless students are returning to their countries of permanent residence during their leave of absence. A maximum of 18 transfer credits may be used to meet degree requirements after matriculation.

Students who are considering taking a voluntary personal leave of absence should check with the Bursar’s Office, Office of Financial Aid, Housing and Residential Services, Student Employment, Student Health Plan, International Services and Athletics to find out about financial and other implications. Note: The change in enrollment status may have implications for financial aid, billing, student health benefits, and international student visa status.  It is particularly important for students who have educational loans to contact the Office of Financial Aid.  Eligibility for medical or auto insurance may also be affected during a student’s leave of absence.

Students who are granted a voluntary personal leave of absence or withdrawal during a semester are responsible for any outstanding tuition or other university charges owed through the date of the leave of absence. On-campus housing and dining charges may accrue until the student no longer utilizes the services, regardless of the official leave date.

If you agree with these policies and terms and wish to submit your voluntary personal leave or withdrawal request please click the link below to access the form.

I understand, please take me to the form.