Mars may not have an Earth-like, continental crust. Instead, a Cornell scientist poses an alternative theory: Crystalized magma welled up from inside the red planet. Read more about Mars’ crustal evolution does not follow Earth’s formula
Gazel works on solving the puzzles of the Earth by studying processes in the interior of our planet that produce magma and volcanoes. His goal is to understand how these processes contribute to planetary evolution and how they impacted life and the environment in the past in order to prepare for the future. Gazel's work integrates different Earth geochemical cycles, from ocean crust production to subduction and deep recycling, He studies these processes from a geochemical perspective complemented by interdisciplinary collaboration with other fields.
Dr. Gazel's teaching philosophy focuses on active learning. The use of actual data and case studies teach students tangible skills that they can use in their career fields. Gazel's strives to contribute to the education of the next generation of Earth science leaders who seek to find solutions for the challenges of the 21st century with population growth, natural hazards, climate change, and water and other natural resource challenges.
- 2017."The hottest Phanerozoic magmas and the Survival of Archean Reservoirs."Nature Geoscience10: 451-456. .
- 2017."Post-rift magmatic evolution of the eastern North American "passive-aggressive'' margin."Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems18. .
- 2016."New insights into the Aeolian Islands and other arc source compositionsfrom high-precision olivine chemistry."Lithos272: 185-191. .
- 2016."Reconstructing CO2 concentrations in basaltic melt inclusions using Raman analysis of vapor bubbles. -."Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research323: 148-162. .
- 2016."Origin of plagiogranites in oceanic complexes: A case study of the Nicoya and Santa Elena terranes, Costa Rica."Lithos262: 75-87. .
Selected Awards and Honors
- GeoPrisms Distinguished Lecturer(GeoPrisms)2016
- Hisashi Kuno Award(American Geophysical Union)2016
- BS(Geology),University of Costa Rica,2004
- Ph D(Geology),Rutgers University,2009