Registrar FAQs for Undergrads and M.Eng.
- What grade point average do I need to attain to be placed on the Dean’s List?
- How do I enroll in classes?
- What are the tuition and fees?
- How do I take a leave of absence?
- How do I apply for re-admission to the College of Engineering?
- How do I sign up for a minor?
- How do I declare my major/affiliate with a field?
- Can I double major?
- How do I get a letter verifying that I am a registered student in the College of Engineering?
- How do I reserve a room within the College of Engineering?
- What are student records?
- When/how can I get my grades?
- Why aren’t my AP scores posted in Student Services Center yet?
What grade point average do I need to attain to be placed on the Dean’s List?
You will need a 3.5 or higher grade point average, without rounding, while enrolled for twelve or more credits for a letter grade (not S/U).
How do I enroll in classes?
You can enroll in most classes online through Student Services Center. A small percentage of courses require permission from the department of the course you are adding. For these courses, you will need to complete an Add/Drop form, which you can pick up in the Engineering Registrar’s Office, 158 Olin Hall.
What are the tuition and fees?
Tuition and fees for the academic year can be found on the Office of Financial Aid and Student Employment’s Web site.
How do I take a leave of absence?
Step 1: Submit your voluntary leave of absence or voluntary withdrawal request through the official web form.
Step 2: If unaffiliated you must contact the Engineering Advising Office at 607-255-7414 or stop by 167 Olin Hall during standard business hours, 830am-430pm, Monday-Friday.
Step 3: If you are affiliated please contact your department for further information.
How do I apply for re-admission to the College of Engineering?
Students wishing to re-join the College of Engineering after an approved absence must notify the Engineering Advising Office of their intent to re-enroll at least six weeks before the beginning of the semester in which they plan to renew their studies. Please contact or visit the Engineering Advising Office, 167 Olin Hall (phone: 607-255-7414), for more information.
How do I sign up for a minor?
Complete the following steps:
Step 1: Meet with your faculty advisor to discuss your options.
Step 2: Enroll in and complete the appropriate courses. Your advisor can help you select courses that will satisfy your minor.
Step 3: Visit the Engineering Advising Office, 167 Olin Hall, and complete the Application to Certify Completion of an Engineering Minor.
After you have completed your minor, a notation will appear on your transcript.
How do I declare my major/affiliate with a field?
To apply for affiliation, visit the departmental office of the undergraduate major you are interested in and complete an Application for Field Affiliation. Your cumulative grade point average must be at least 2.0, and you must satisfy the field’s course and grade requirements. To check on the course and grade requirements for each field, please contact the field you are interested in or check the Requirements for Field Affiliation section of the Undergraduate Engineering Handbook.
Can I double major?
Yes. To register for a double major you must complete the following steps:
Step 1: Meet with your faculty advisor and discuss your plans to double major.
Step 2: Meet with the staff in the Engineering Advising Office, 167 Olin Hall.
Step 3: Fully review the Special Programs section of the Undergraduate Engineering Handbook.
How do I request a letter to verify I am a registered student in the College of Engineering?
Two offices can verify your Cornell enrollment in writing:
1. The Cornell University Registrar. Please visit their Web site for additional information.
2. The Engineering Registrar.
- To request a letter you must complete a Release of Information form found on our academic forms page and attach it in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your name, Cornell ID number, primary phone number, primary e-mail address, and signature (cannot be digital). Also be sure to include the address you would like your verification letter mailed if applicable, otherwise you will receive an email to collect the document from our office at 158 Olin Hall during standard business hours. All letter requests require a minimum of three business days to process.
How do I reserve a room within the College of Engineering?
Please submit your non-course-related engineering room reservation requests through our online form: https://www.engineering.cornell.edu/about/reserve-rooms
If you have never submitted a room request through our online form or are not signed up as an R25 room requestor, you will need to do a quick sign-up to add you as an R25 room requestor in the system. Simply follow the link listed below and enter your PeopleSoft net id and password. This will "kerberize" you in the R25 room scheduling system. You will only need to do this once, and you will be in the system for all future room requests you submit.
The Engineering Registrar's Office attempts to process room requests within three business days. We cannot guarantee same-day turnaround, so please submit your requests as early as possible. We will confirm each request by email.
IMPORTANT: All course/exam PeopleSoft issues and room requests must go through appropriate department major/course coordinators before being sent to the Engineering Registrar's Office. The department staff member responsible for managing courses should send PeopleSoft course and room issues and requests directly to the Engineering Registrar.
What are student records?
Student records are those records directly related to a student and maintained by the university or by a party acting for the university. Some examples: grades, coursework, progress towards a degree, student financial account records
When/how can I get my grades?
Access your grades online through Student Services Center. Follow these steps:
- Click the Student Services Center folder
- Enter your net ID and password
- Click the Academics tab
Grades will be posted three weeks after the completion of the academic semester.
Why aren’t my AP scores posted in Student Services Center yet?
Here are some possible reasons:
- Cornell hasn’t received them yet.
- Cornell has received them, but they haven’t been entered yet.
Please wait two weeks and check Student Services Center again.