Course Enrollment

Please refer to the following information from various common core math, science, and engineering departments regarding the latest updates on course add instructions.


BIOMG 1350 (Cell & Developmental Biology):

  • If BIOMG 1350 fills, continue to check Student Center for open section times.  Many students change their schedules during the Add/Drop period and some will drop BIOMG 1350.  These spots are filled on first-come, first-served basis so it pays to check frequently during that time.
  • If you are enrolled in BIOMG 1350 but would like to switch sections, you must do so through Student Center.  Once the Add/Drop period starts, look in Student Center for an open section that fits into your schedule. Then use the "swap" option in Student Center to change your enrollment without dropping the course.  If you drop the course and someone else takes your place, we will not be able to re-enroll you.  If you have questions please email


CHEM 2080/2090/2510: Please do not drop or swap sections in these courses.  Students will not be able to enroll or re-enroll in CHEM 2080, 2090 or 2510 using Student Center.  If you wish to be placed in these courses, or swap sections for the Spring 2021 semester, please place your name on the waitlists below before Tuesday, February 9th at 2pm.

You may indicate multiple lab times (up to three) on your waitlist entry, and are encouraged to do so. Students placed from the waitlist will receive an email notification from the Chemistry Department.

Please contact Lee Yoke Lee (131 Baker Lab,, 607-255-2469) with questions.

Computer Science

If an Introduction to Computing (CS 111X) is full, continue to monitor Student Center during the pre-enroll or add periods for new openings in classes.  If the course is still full, make a request to enroll manually at It may be possible to add the course manually, using an add/drop slip (available in both the Engineering Registrar and Advising offices).

For complete information on all Computer Science course enrollment rules and options, please visit


If an ENGRI or ENGRD is full, continue to monitor Student Center during the pre-enroll or add periods for new openings in classes.  You may also want to reach out to the engineering department that owns the course to see if there is a wait list.

First-Year Writing Seminar (FWS)

Only freshmen, sophomores, and first-semester transfer students are eligible to take the FWS.

During pre-enroll, you must ballot for the FWS.  Please visit for more information.

During add period, you must enroll electronically through Student Center. Neither instructors nor registrars can approve additional enrollment into any FWS. Caps on enrollment cannot be lifted. There are no wait-lists or forms to sign; do not ask an instructor about adding a seminar. Instructors will not allow any student not on the roster to sit in on a FWS.

To find open FWS courses during the add period:

• Go to Student Center

• At the search screen, click on “Additional Search Criteria"

• Choose “FWS Session” from the “Session” field. This will show you all open FWS classes (a FWS is open ONLY if it appears in this list. Check frequently, because the list can change).


For complete information on all Math course enrollment rules and options, please visit


The Physics Department will assist you if you are unable to resolve a conflict between your Physics course and another required course for your degree; however, if changing your FWS, PE class, or another elective is possible and will resolve the conflict, then you should resolve the conflict on your own rather than seeking an accommodation from Physics.

The SWAP function works perfectly for Physics classes. If a preferable section becomes open during the add/drop period, you may SWAP classes in Student Center without risk of dropping your current section. You cannot accidentally drop the class using the SWAP function. If you fail to follow the SWAP instructions and accidentally drop the class, you cannot be added back to the class unless you are able to re-enroll through Student Center.

Please visit if you are unable to enroll in a class.