M.Eng. Student Admission FAQs

Frequently asked questions

Can I apply to a graduate program for the spring semester?

This varies by engineering field and program.

How many graduate fields or programs can I apply to?

You can send only one graduate application to one program at Cornell. However, you can list an alternative field of study or program on your application. If you are not accepted by your first choice, your application will be forwarded to your second choice.

Do I need a B.S. in engineering to apply to an engineering graduate program?

For most of the engineering fields, you need only an adequate course background in the field to be considered. This may or may not mean you need to have an engineering degree. Contact the field or look at the field’s website to see if you meet the requirements.

Do I have to take the TOEFL, and what are the minimum scores for this test?

As an international applicant, you must demonstrate proficiency in the English language by taking a TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exam. For exceptions and minimum requirements, please visit the Graduate School website.

What are the tuition and fees in the Master of Engineering Program?

Cornell Master of Engineering students are charged the endowed tuition rate for Graduate Study. Refer to the Office of the Bursar to find the current tuition rates for the M.Eng. Degree.

How do I get financial aid for the Master of Engineering?

Because the M.Eng. is a one-year program, most students fund their own tuition. However, some M.Eng. students may receive Graduate Teaching Research Specialist (GTRS) positions, which pay a stipend of around $5,000 a semester. There is limited financial aid from the fields and a limited number of fellowships and scholarships specifically for M.Eng. students. Review the Paying for Your Degree portion of this website.

What is early admission to the M.Eng. program?

You can apply for early admission if you are a Cornell Engineering undergraduate student, have eight or fewer (but more than zero) credits left to finish your undergraduate degree, and if you will be entering your final semester as an undergraduate. You will take courses to finish your undergraduate degree at the same time as you are taking courses to start your M.Eng. degree. To apply for early admission, you must fill out the M.Eng. application as well as an Early Admission Petition and Course Record Form.

Does Cornell’s career services provide services to graduate students?

Yes. There is an M.Eng. Career Support Manager who provides services and teaches classes solely for M.Eng. students. Additionally, both the Engineering Career Center and Cornell’s Career Services offices provide assistance to graduate students. Many employers, including engineering companies, consulting firms, government agencies, financial firms, and nonprofit organizations, recruit engineering students at Cornell. There are career fairs and several company information sessions on campus during the academic year. Visit Engineering Career Center online.

What is the deadline for application?

Deadlines vary from program to program and a few offer rolling admission. Refer to the Graduate School degree fields for your field to determine which deadlines apply to you. As a general rule, applicants who submit materials before February 1 for fall admission will be notified of a decision by April 1. Individuals may apply later than February 1 but are not guaranteed the same consideration as those received before the deadline, including consideration for fellowships and scholarships.

How can I get an Application Fee Waiver?

Applicants may fill out a form to request an application fee waiver. Please note that fee waivers may be granted for applicants experiencing financial hardship or are participants in the Graduate School Pathways Program. See the Graduate School for more information.